Okay, so we all know wandering around airports with a humongous backpack on your back is not the most glamorous of looks. No no. But when it’s gotta be done, you can still be a glamazon jetsetter, I promise! Where there’s a will to look feminine and pin-up fabulous, there is a way.
I may not have embarked yet but I have given this subject lots of thought. I certainly need some femininity in my pack to feel like me, so here are my packing tips:
- Pack Bare Minerals make-up (the foundation lasts forever, you don’t need much of it, it’s compact and it covers blemishes/tired eyes and even sunburn really well).
- Put in a cheap mascara (it’s true – this may melt/evapourate in the heat, but if you need it, like I do, to perk you up to full femme-fatale status, at least it’s just cheap and can be replaced).
- Don’t forget a hair accessory that you love. Your hair could just be scraped into a ponytail for ease, but add a bow/flower/headband/ribbon to it, you will feel that little bit more backpacker-chic.
- Chelsea Duke assures her readers in my fave book, High Heels & a Head Torch, that we should all invest in a pair of sparkly flip-flops – they will instantly feminise any outfit and they are damn practical (wear them in showers, when visiting temples for easy-removal etc etc).
- Take a pair of cheap statement sunglasses. I got my fave mint-green vintage-style ones from Primark for £1. Doesn’t hurt the bank/matter too much if you loose them but they are super chic and awesome and you will feel very much in-Vogue at all times.
- Vaseline will repair any dry skin, will help with sunburn and doubles as a lip-gloss – so don’t forget it! 🙂
- Go for a pencil eyeliner over a liquid one (and don’t forget your sharpener). I’m going to try and master using a pencil for upper eyeliner, before I go. I’ll let you know how it goes 😉
- Take a nice sarong, you will use it on the beach, to cover your arms in temples, as a towel if you get caught without one, you can even fashion it into a top/dress…handy handy.
- Take the smallest eyeshadow pallette you can find, containing different colours – and brighten yourself up on those tired days.
- Take bikinis over bras – you’ll get multiple use out of them, in and out of the water. (Normally I would pack a tonne of different cute bras on holiday – strapless/normal/red/pink/blue – but in this case you have to improvise and luckily bikinis, nowadays, are just as cute and feminine as your undies). So take your favourites! 🙂
Also, leave at home:
- Blusher/bronzer – You will have a tan/new freckles/a natural healthy blush – so it’s not required.
- Lipstick (will melt) but if you really wanted to pack one, make sure it’s a cheapo one, that you don’t mind throwing away.
- Your fave designer things (it’s just asking for trouble), if you loose it and it will really upset you – leave it at home!
Tell me what makes you feel oh-so-femme on the road and please send your packing tips via the usual routes:
Love and backpacks Em xoxo